On Thursday, January 21, 2021, the Stanford community celebrated the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Watch the full event video below and engage by adding or viewing comments regarding the event.
From Black Power to BLM: Reimagining Dr. King's Dream
Dr. Clayborne Carson Tribute Video
Moderated panel discussion:
- Ralph Richard Banks, the Jackson Eli Reynolds Professor of Law at Stanford Law School and Faculty Director of the Stanford Center for Racial Justice.
- Felicia Smith, the Head of the Learning & Outreach department for Stanford Libraries and creator of the exhibit titled "Say Their Names – No More Names."
- Mohammad Elmojtaba Gumma, a BA candidate in Human Biology, Co-President of the Black Student Union, and Co-Director of Racial Justice Associated Students of Stanford University).
Respondents to panel discussion:
- Dr. Clayborne Carson, the Ronnie Lott Director of the Martin Luther King Jr. Research and Education Institute and Martin Luther King Jr. Centennial Professor of History.
- Kimya Loder, a doctoral student in the Department of Sociology, Center for Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity Graduate Fellow, and President of Black Graduate Student Association.
Closed with a Q&A.
Additional Video Celebrating Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Watch this video featuring Stanford Talisman, a student a-cappella group, that has prepared a special musical compilation for Stanford Redwood City in commemoration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. We hope you set aside some time to enjoy this 17-minute montage of recent, powerful performances and reflect on the life and impact of Dr. King, then and especially now.
MLK and BLM Resources for Learning
Find resources for learning that may educate and inspire you to take action and continue your journey of engaging with others in meaningful dialogue to create a better and more just, equitable, and inclusive society.
MLK Day of Service
The Martin Luther King Jr. holiday celebrates the life and legacy of Dr. King. To honor Dr. King, please consider volunteer opportunities to be of service in your community. Find suggestions for volunteering here.